4th November 2011
Hayden & Christina and thier "Wildheart Bengals" catery. They have one of the out door enclosures built a second smaller one is going to be built soon. But first needs an indoor version for the kittens and an extra door to stop the cats getting out etc. Now they are converting their spare room for this. So we have to think of a few things, but there is a rough plan. (Well Hayden has a plan apparently)
Apparently they are getting their queen on Monday so we need at least the door up... which is now done. But would like to get as much of the kittenary (ok Kitten nursary but hey) done as possible as don't want to disturb the queen if she gets preggers and has kittens...
First get old aluminum door frame from old sliding door cupboard. Add lite weight wooden sub frame, and some hinges. Cool idea Hayden simple, lite weight and easy.
All we did to hang it was tex screw 30mm x 10mm to the door frame and then add hinges to that. This way it is minimal damage to house and can be putty filled and painted over if they sell and move.
It needs to swing so it can be opened both ways. I thought it had to swing a full 180 which we ended up making it do and has worked out for the better. The door is going to be used as a interlock so cats and or kittens can't get out.
Past the door to the right is kittenary and to the left is the office. When the door is in this postion and both office and kittenary doors are open the queen bengal can freely roam in between.
Hayden cut mesh out... I was to busy drinking bourbon... Add mesh to door, simply stapled on with heavy duty staple gun... let me out. let me out. Oh wait its not locked... doh!
Door now closing the kittenary off. Leaving office and hallway open.
My simple latch (on hallway) that can work either side of door and on both doors and it does not matter what side of the door you are on. Small hand hole in mesh to reach through. Just needs some plastic cover to protect hand on sharp bits of mesh. Which Hayden will do, like he did on his out door enclosure.
Cut latch with jigsaw rounded so easy to move and smoothed off with belt sander. Drill bigger hole than tex screw add washer and you have a latch.
Other latch on kittenary...
Umm told you need plastic cover... oh never mind...
Oh just to point out... we didn't have any washers... so we made some out of... oh wait... you have to visit to see them. They were the most expensive part used so far.
Also to point out that this is Haydens project and he is doing most of it... I am the helper and tool supplier on this one... :-)